Instructions for patients attending for a surgical procedure.
You have received these instructions because you are have an appointment at the clinic for either a surgical pregnancy termination, a curettage following a miscarriage, or an IUD insertion or removal.
If you received a link to this page and had anticipated that your appointment was for a medical abortion (abortion pill) please call the clinic immediately. Specific instructions are required for medical abortions and it may not be possible to change the type of abortion procedure on the day.
Only patients will be permitted into the clinic waiting room. We aim to maintain a safe and private space for patients only.
We will contact your nominated support person approximately 30-40 minutes prior to your expected discharge time.
If you have ANY cold or flu-like symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, coughing, sore throat, headache, aching muscles or joints), please reschedule your appointment immediately. You must postpone your appointment until your symptoms have resolved.
- No food or drink for 6 hours prior to appointment.
- You may drink plain water or clear apple juice until 2 hours prior to your appointment.
We are at 120 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills, approximately 300m to the East of Central Station.
Bring the following
- Medicare card. (or number, including expiry date and your Medicare reference number)
- Payment of the quoted fee is required shortly after arrival, prior to admission for treatment. We accept EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa or cash.
- Extra underpants
- 2 sanitary pads
- Socks, to keep feet warm after the procedure
- We will provide you with a gown and a locker to store your clothes and personal belongings.
- If your GP has ordered pathology tests or an ultrasound scan, please bring a copy of these reports with you or arrange that your GP fax the reports to us prior to your visit. Fax 9690-2505.
- If you would like us to send a discharge summary to your GP, please bring their name and practice address.
- A GP referral is not required, although if your GP has provided you with a referral letter, please give this to our receptionist upon arrival.
- Please do not bring babies or young children to the clinic because they can be stressful and upsetting to other patients.
Existing medical conditions
If you have any of the following conditions, please call the clinic to discuss as we may need to give you additional instructions
- Bleeding or clotting disorders
- Any known uterine abnormalities, eg. fibroids
- If you are overweight, with a BMI over 30
- If your appointment is for a pregnancy termination, if there is a possibility that you may be over 12 weeks, please call the clinic as additional instructions will be required.
The average time spent at the clinic is approximately 3 hours, from appointment time to discharge, but visit times may sometimes range from 2 to 4 hours.
Please aim to arrive close to your allotted appointment time as possible. We do not require you to arrive early. Upon arrival you will be asked to read and compete several forms. You will then speak with the doctor who will be performing the procedure. This consultation is between yourself and the doctor only.
If you have an appointment for a surgical abortion, are less than 8 weeks* pregnant, and you have previously considered a long-acting contraceptive device, it is cost effective to have an intra-uterine device inserted during this visit. These devices are very safe, over 99% effective, have few side-effects, and will last for 5 years, or until the device is removed.
If this is something that you would like to consider, please read about this option to understand more and call the clinic to advise that you are interested in having an IUD inserted during the abortion procedure. There is an increase in the procedure cost and there will also be an extra charge for the device itself. The clinic can advise what the extra costs will be.
Screening for STI’s may be recommended prior to insertion if you, or your partner have had other sexual partners during the last 12 months, or if you are under 25 years of age.
We ask that if you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us on 9690-0000 as soon as possible and preferably 24 hours before your appointment so that your appointment time may be offered to another patient.
We are located at
120 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills, approximately 300m to the East of Central Station, on the light rail line.
If coming by car, it is not possible to park on Devonshire Street owing to the light rail, however metered street parking is readily available on Cooper Street, Holt Street or Waterloo Street which are only a short walk away.
After your appointment
You must not drive a car for the remainder of the day, so please make suitable arrangements for transport home from the clinic after the procedure. We advise against public transport.
You should arrange for a support person to accompany you home after your procedure. Our nurses will call your nominated support person about 30 minutes prior to your expected discharge time.
Most patients return to work the following day. If you (or your support person) require a medical certificate for the day of your visit, please request this from the doctor during your initial consultation.
We will provide you with;
- a prescription for antibiotics
- instructions for your aftercare (yellow sheet)
- a letter (discharge summary) that you can provide to your GP if required which will summarise your treatment.
- a copy of your payment receipt(s).
Non Medicare patients who have private insurance as required for their visa, will usually be able to claim a substantial portion of the fee from their private health insurance company.
If you have a Medicare card and if Medicare have recorded your bank details, the clinic can submit the claim for the Medicare rebate on your behalf. To verify that your bank details have been recorded by Medicare, you can contact Medicare prior to your appointment (Ph 132307), or download the Medicare app on your smartphone to link your bank account to your Medicare number. If you are uncertain, request that clinic staff do not process your Medicare rebate until you have confirmed that your correct bank details are recorded.
If you have any questions, please call the clinic during business hours.
Street parking is available in the surrounding area. Best parking is in Gladstone Street, Cooper Street, Holt Street and Waterloo Street. Stopping on Devonshire Street is not possible owing to the light rail.
We encourage you to download and complete these forms before visiting the clinic.
Personal details and Medical History form (all patients)
Consent for surgical termination of pregnancy (pregnancy termination patients only)