Instructions for patients.
The following instructions are for women who are visiting the clinic for a pregnancy termination, a curettage following a miscarriage, or for an IUD insertion or removal.
- No food or drink for 6 hours prior to appointment.
- You may drink plain water or clear apple juice until 2 hours prior to your appointment.
We are at 120 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills, approximately 300m to the East of Central Station.
Bring the following
- Medicare card. (or number, including expiry date and your Medicare reference number)
- Payment of the quoted fee is required prior to admission for treatment. We accept EFTPOS, Mastercard, Visa or cash.
- Extra underpants
- 2 sanitary pads
- Socks, to keep feet warm after the procedure
- We will provide you with a gown and a locker to store your clothes and personal belongings.
- If your GP has ordered pathology tests or an ultrasound scan, please bring a copy of these reports with you or arrange that your GP fax the reports to us prior to your visit. Fax 9690-2505.
- If you would like us to send a discharge summary to your GP, please bring their name and practice address.
- A GP referral is not required, although if your GP has provided you with a referral letter, please give this to our receptionist upon arrival.
- If you would like to bring a support person with you, please limit your support to one or two people only. Please avoid bringing babies or young children to the clinic because they can be stressful and upsetting to other patients.
You will usually be at the clinic for approximately 3 hours, but visit times may sometimes range from 2 to 4 hours. (From scheduled arrival time to discharge)
Please aim to arrive close to your allotted appointment time as possible. We do not require you to arrive early. Upon arrival you will be asked to read and compete several forms. You will then speak with the doctor who will be performing the procedure. This consultation is between yourself and the doctor only.
We ask that if you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us on 9690-0000 as soon as possible and preferably 24 hours before your appointment so that your appointment time may be offered to another patient.
We are located at 120 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills.
The Private Clinic is on your left if you are walking from Central Station along Devonshire Street, on the Northern side of the street. We are just past the corner of Holt Street.
We don’t have a sign on the front of our building. Look for a cream coloured building with a black gate.
Please note that Devonshire Street has been temporarily closed to car traffic during the construction of the CBD and SouthEast light rail project.
If coming by car along Elizabeth Street, heading South, you must turn left into Cooper Street (the street before Devonshire). Take the first available parking space because we are only a short walk from there.
If coming from the East, drive down Foveaux Street, turn left into Waterloo Street (just after Riley St), then turn right at Cooper St and take the first available parking space.
Metered street parking is available in the surrounding area. Best parking is in Cooper Street, Holt Street and Waterloo Street. Parking is not possible on Devonshire Street owing to the light rail construction.
After your appointment
You must not drive a car for the remainder of the day, so please make suitable arrangements for transport home from the clinic after the procedure.
Most patients return to work the following day. If you (or your carer) require a medical certificate for the day of your visit, please request this from the doctor during your initial consultation.
If you have arranged for a support person to accompany you home after the procedure, our nurses will call that person about 30 minutes prior to your anticipated discharge time.
We will provide you with;
- a prescription for antibiotics
- instructions for your aftercare (yellow sheet)
- a letter (discharge summary) that you can provide to your GP if required which will summarise your treatment.
- a copy of your payment receipt(s).
Non Medicare patients who have private insurance as required for their visa, will usually be able to claim a substantial portion of the fee from their private health insurance company.
If you have a Medicare card and if Medicare have recorded your bank details, the clinic can submit the claim for the Medicare rebate on your behalf. If you are unsure whether Medicare have your bank details on file, you should contact Medicare prior to your appointment, or request that clinic staff do not process your Medicare rebate until you have confirmed that your correct bank details are recorded.
If you have any questions, please call the clinic during business hours.
(optional) You can save time by completing these forms before visiting the clinic, otherwise you can complete the forms upon arrival.
Personal details and medical history form (all patients)
Counselling questionaire (pregnancy terminations patients only)
Consent for termination of pregnancy (pregnancy termination patients only)